The Account Supervisor is responsible for the management, service and profitability of designated agency accounts. Alongside a senior director, the position will help lead, manage and plan the clients’ short and long-term marketing strategies, ensure project work is executed flawlessly and take responsibility for bottom-line accountability.
In addition, the Account Supervisor will maintain contact with all levels of management within assigned clients. The Account Supervisor will also assume the daily management and supervision of designated account team personnel.
The Account Supervisor will handle all issues related to the selected clients and inform agency executives of any serious issues needing escalation. This includes being able to recognize additional opportunities within the account to expand the business.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Take immediate initiative and overall responsibility/ownership of assigned clients and processes.
- Learn client businesses to the point where the Account Supervisor can be considered an industry and subject matter expert. This includes leading the account and creative teams in this regard.
- Take on specific projects to help shoulder the weight of account team workloads (e.g., must act as a player/coach).
- Look for ways to contribute and add value to assigned accounts and teams.
- Mine for opportunities among clients to grow revenue beyond existing work.
- Build positive and lasting relationships based upon achievement of the client’s marketing goals in a manner profitable to the agency.
- Develop/present appropriate POVs and recommendations to the client(s) as required to keep agency top-of-mind and to expand business.
- Provide leadership and coaching to assigned account team.
- Ensure the utilization of appropriate agency departments.
- Perform a leadership role in preparing and conducting client meetings.
- Communicate effectively in both a verbal and written manner.
- Ascertain the client’s needs and effectively communicate them back to both the client and agency teams.
- Maintain direct, timely and appropriate communications with clients.
- Communicate critical issues, situations requiring resolution directly with appropriate internal department members and department heads.
- Inform agency executives of escalated good/bad issues and the resolutions.
- Financial Management
- Undertake overall responsibility for monthly budget reconciliations to ensure profitability of account.
- Develop, present and negotiate project estimates, project scopes and annual agency fees/budgets.
- Ensure clients’ perception that agency consistently provides value-added services.
- Supervise and approve the development and administration of clients’ budgets.
- Monitor and evaluate all costs from within the Account Team(s).
- Team Building
- Motivate and encourage account, creative, development and production teams.
- Ensure assigned personnel follow all agency policies and procedures.
- Take responsibility for the success and/or failure for all assigned direct reports.
- Conduct interviews, as needed, for openings or positions.
- Monitor and evaluate account team workloads and reassign priorities as needed.
- Ensure team follows all agency procedures, while taking a leadership role in seeking ways to improve upon them.
- Ensure that accurate time sheets are kept and submitted in a timely basis for members of the account team.
- Remain knowledgeable about the operations of the agency as a whole.
- Teach procedures and operations to account team in informal and formal training sessions.
- Evaluate the performance of designated team, and appropriately communicate those evaluations. Keep accurate notes on performance, as well as employee situations as they arise.
- Perform staffing functions (hire, terminate, and coach).
Experience and Education
- 8+ years marketing experience that provides an understanding of direct marketing principles, digital marketing, email marketing, creative development, copywriting, production and agency finance
- Advanced PC skills (Microsoft Office – Power Point, Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Financial management
- Interpersonal communication (written and verbal)
- Superior presentation skills
- College Degree
- Direct marketing experience a must